print error - read/write access
B!L
2006-08-17 11:11:24 UTC
Hi

I am having a problem when trying to print seperations to file, getting the
error message:

"could not complete your request because read or write access has been denied"

I have read the technote tn_15097 which has not solved the issue, and also the
forum thread:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=17&catid=19
9&threadid=879142&highlight_key=y&keyword1=print%20error

...which appears to have remained unsolved.

I am using Freehand MX under windows XP home

any ideas gratefully received
tman69
2006-08-17 11:21:36 UTC
you are trying to print separations to file...why? what are you wanting to accomplish--that is for what usage?
B!L
2006-08-17 11:26:37 UTC
The design uses 2 spot colours and I need to send the file to a printers who usually need ai or eps
B!L
2006-08-17 11:34:13 UTC
because it converts the spot colours to RGB or CMYK
tman69
2006-08-17 11:30:46 UTC
why not just save as 'editable eps'?
tman69
2006-08-17 11:44:11 UTC
I just ran a test..exporting as EPS, or save as editable eps...both files when opened in freehand are still spot
tman69
2006-08-17 11:51:23 UTC
also you can export as an .ai file--I just tested that--opened in illustrator--colors still spot--I saved as illustrator eps then distilled with acrobat distiller--opened that in acrobat--still spot
tman69
2006-08-17 11:52:50 UTC
are you sure your spot colors are really 'spot'--their names should not be italicised
B!L
2006-08-17 12:02:39 UTC
bejabbers, you're right

Thanks Tman. I'd tried exporting to PDF and that converted everything to
process. Guess I should have done AI before yelling :-)

There's definately something screwy going on here though - when I tried to
export to EPS I got the same read/write error message - huh? As I understand
it, AI, EPS and PDF are all basically subsets of postscript, so why am I
getting such diverse results?
tman69
2006-08-17 12:09:39 UTC
the read/write error sounds like a 'windows' thing--also microsoft's postscript
and adobe's postscript don't play nice together--something about MS won't pay
adobe for the postscript license--so they made their own--getting back to the
error--could be your machine needs a cold slap (reboot) or there may be some
'sharing' issues with a file somewhere. good luck...time for me to sleep now
B!L
2006-08-17 12:36:28 UTC
Yes, I agree, its probably some sort of esoteric daftness which often crops up
in these areas. Never had this particular one before. Done all the standard
stuff - reboots, updates, patches, file permissions etc etc but can't pin it
down.

Thanks again for your help Tman - sleep well :-)
John R. Lenz
2006-10-10 20:44:55 UTC
Bil,

The way to fix this is to use a 'Userprep' file in the print setup box.
Something sometimes gets scrambled in FreeHand and you have to select a
userprep file to get it to work.

This can also happen upon export of an EPS.

-John