Freehand Simplify function hangs
larry201
2009-01-27 13:56:28 UTC
I recently migrated from a Windows 2000 desktop to Windows XP. I installed
Freehand MX (ver 11.0), then the 11.0.2 upgrade and the Avenza MAPublisher
add-in. I was logged on as an administrator for the installs. When I log in
with my normal user login (non-administrator), executing the Simplify function
freezes up the program. This does not happen when logged on as an
administrator. I reinstalled all programs to verifty, and the results are the
same. Is this an XP issue? How can I avoid locking up the program when using
the Simplify tool as a non-administrator?
larry201
2009-02-02 20:56:13 UTC
Issue of Simplify freeze-up resolved. The Simplify function is somehow tied to
the user that installed the program. I had originally installed FH as a systems
administrator (different username than my own personal login). Subsequently
logging in as "myself" and executing Simplify would hang the FH program.
Resolution: Log in as original (installer) administrator; Uninstall FH; log in
under my own username BUT upgraded to Administrator rights; install FH. Now,
even after I "demoted" my user account from administrator to power user,
Simplify works OK.
Any thoughts on how/why this one Simplify function (no other FH functions that
I commonly use) is installer-dependent?
Judy Arndt
2009-02-03 21:30:06 UTC
Post by larry201
Any thoughts on how/why this one Simplify function (no other FH functions that
I commonly use) is installer-dependent?
Perhaps MAPublisher is the problem. Avenza runs a forum for users, so you
could ask there.

FreeHand will not enable multiple users on one machine to have separate
settings and preferences. Have you checked the installation instructions to
see if installation in an Admin account is allowed?

The Simplify dialog has an Apply function so you can preview the setting. I
wonder if the program writes a preference during Apply. Perhaps that
preference needs to be in a User account.

Did you ever use the Apply function in the Text Editor? Did that ever give
you problems?

I'm a Mac user, so I'm not familiar with preferences and permissions on a
Windows setup.

Judy Arndt