Importing .AI file into free hand error
the_cleof
2009-03-16 09:01:35 UTC
I am creating the files in Coral Draw as they are barcodes, I then export them
as .AI (not EPS) files, using Illustrator 88 (which worked fineon Thursday!)

All of a sudden Freehand will not allow me to import my AI files (which has
done so many times in the past). Now when I import the AI file it 'places' it
as an EPS which is blank (square with cross through)??
Baffled as no changes / settings were made to software. I have infact
reinstalled the software again (back to default settings) in an attempt to
correct the error, but to no avail.

Can anyone help? As I need to import as AI files not as an EPS (or any other
file type).

I am desperate ... any FH geniuses around that are willing to help a damsel in
great distress?!!?!?
Judy Arndt
2009-03-16 18:18:50 UTC
Post by the_cleof
All of a sudden Freehand will not allow me to import my AI files (which has
done so many times in the past). Now when I import the AI file it 'places' it
as an EPS which is blank (square with cross through)??
Check to see if you have changed something in CorelDraw so that you are
accidentally exporting an EPS rather than an Illustrator 88 format.

FreeHand can import uncompressed CorelDraw 7 and 8 files. You might one of
those formats.

Check your FH Preferences in the Import category. Check "Convert editable
EPS when imported." This will help when importing EPS formatted files, but
should not be required for importing the AI 88 format. (However, I admit I
haven't worked with AI 88 files for many years.)

Just a tip for getting a clean FH reinstall. Reinstalling FreeHand does not
overwrite your previous FH Preferences and custom settings. Back up custom
settings you wish to save. Then, before reinstalling, remove or delete the
FH Settings folder. On a Mac it is here:
Users/(Username)/Library/Application Support/ Macromedia/ FreeHand MX/ 11/
English/ Settings

Judy Arndt
maeric
2009-03-16 21:10:03 UTC
Considering Judy's advice, I would also add what system software are you using?
Unless Illustrator 88 can even run in Classic mode on a Mac OSX PPC, you are
either on a Windows PC or a pre-OSX (OS 8 - 9) Mac. Also what version of
Freehand do you have? This could make a difference in the advice given here.