Freehand to PDF
pscotton
2009-01-16 11:56:36 UTC
I am not a big Freehand user and only use it when I have to (like when a client
gives me a file to work on), so I am not too hot on how to use it. I am in that
situation now, I have been gien a Freehand MX file to rebrand and change some
images.

I have done all the changes but when I save it to a hi res PDF ready for
print, the imported image is all blocky on screen (pixelated). It looks fine in
Freehand and the import to PDF settings are correct.

Can some one let me know what I might be doing wrong.

Regards
Paul
Judy Arndt
2009-01-16 18:05:03 UTC
Post by pscotton
I have done all the changes but when I save it to a hi res PDF ready for
print, the imported image is all blocky on screen (pixelated). It looks fine
in Freehand and the import to PDF settings are correct.
It sounds like you used RGB Raster Effects set to 72 ppi, which is too low
for printing. Go to

File>Document Settings>Raster Effects Settings

Set to a higher resolution suitable for the kind of printing you will be
doing.

Be aware that Raster Effects are in RGB mode only and may not print as
expected to process (CMYK) output. In addition, Raster Effects convert
vector art to raster art upon export, so the artwork will not be as
scaleable as vector graphics.

FreeHand's PDF Export capability is quite limited. See this technote for
more information.

http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_13496

The preferred method to create a PDF file for commercial printing is to
print from FreeHand to a Postscript file and use Acrobat Pro/Distiller to
create the PDF.

Judy Arndt